Translate

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Apparently I look Brazilian? (Week 1)

Hello from Brazil!

Sao Paulo, LDS Temple
I am having a great time here learning and experiencing wonderful things here in Sao Paulo. I can’t believe that one week has passed by so quickly. The second week seems to look promising as I look ahead at all we will be doing. First, I must say that the food here at the MTC (Missionary Training Center) is beyond amazing! I do not know what I am eating half the time because it is native Brazilian food, but I love it! My companion is Elder Peterson. He is from Dallas, Texas. He is an awesome guy who is super funny and overall just a great guy. I have been enjoying my district. I sadly never get to see Logan because we are in different districts but I love my district. We all have good laughs and help each other out all the time. We are like a mini familia! It is amazing to see how much I learn and how fast I am learning the language. The language is very similar to Spanish so I understand it very well. My teacher kind of doesn’t call on me to read to answer questions and I am okay with that, but I just feel bad because I understand the most and have the easiest time speaking along with a few others in my district, so we will do our best to help those struggling a bit. It is not easy to learn it even though I know Spanish. It helps that I know another Latin language, but I am shocked that I understand and respond to native speakers and the coolest part is that they understand me! Also, they keep thinking I am Brazilian and people start talking to me very fast (which is a bit overwhelming) but so cool! I also got to go to the temple today, and I had a great experience! It is definitely a beautiful temple out here in Sao Paulo. I also have seen all types of insects and bugs here! They are definitely interesting bugs! Missionary work is definitely tough, but so worth it. Some missionaries are getting homesick and are having a tough time, including my companion Elder Peterson. A lot of missionaries here with me have asked me if I am sad or miss home, and I honestly felt like I was soulless when I told them that I don’t really miss home; I just know that I will see you all in two years! Lately, I have been doing my best to inspire Elder Peterson to keep pushing through because he misses his family and I’ve mainly keep things positive. Now, I am not saying it is easy but I feel like I know what I am doing and why I am doing it, and it is to serve the lord and honestly I feel nothing but happiness! I am really thankful for all my parents have done to prepare me for this journey. I am so grateful. Oh! Also, Elder Bushman, Elder Mercado, and the rest of my district says hello and that they love you guys (they are all in my district and I showed them photos of you all) haha.
Overall, I am loving every minute out here and am enjoying my time here. I clearly am still alive and doing amazingly! Feel free to share this with whoever you would like. I love emailing you all so have everyone email me if they want to! I’d love to hear from anyone and everyoneJ I’ll make sure to send pictures once I am out of the MTC since they do not let anyone send photos while in the MTC. So I am going to have to wait until I get out of the MTC to send you all the nice photos I have. Until next week.
-LOVE,

ELDER AREVALO

Missionary Training Center Group Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment